Skip to content
Skip to site navigation
Walls and fences
- Check fences, gates, shrubbery and hedges.
- Look for possible hiding areas, or easy ways of gaining entry.
- Check for good visibility from surrounding houses and roadways.
- Low boundaries at the front give maximum visibility, but high walls or fences of 1.8m provide good security at the rear.
- Side entrances should be secured with lockable gates.
- Ideally, gates should be fixed with the hinges attached to the shell of the building.
- Their height should match that of the rear fence so that any burglar attempting to climb or force the gate will be seen from the road or nearby houses.
- Ensure the hinges are secure and that the gate cannot simply be lifted off them.
Subject related information