Skip to content
Skip to site navigation
Cash card security
- Use cash machines during the daytime if possible. It is best to use a well-lit cashpoint. Avoid dimly-lit and deserted areas.
- Make sure that you put your card and cash away quickly – don’t keep them on display.
- Never write down your Personal Identification Number (PIN).
- Keep cards and cheque books separately.
- Note down your debit and credit card details so that you can cancel them quickly if they're stolen or lost.
- When using cash machines, always make sure nobody can see you typing your PIN – cover your hand with your free hand.
- If you think a machine has been tampered with, call the police on 101 as soon as possible to report it. We will need to know why you think the machine has been tampered with and the location of the machine. Do not try to remove the device.
- If a machine has taken your card, call your card issuer immediately.
Subject related information