Share this page

Joint statement a year on from the Didcot power station collapse-Didcot

Thursday 23 February 2017, 0:01am

A year on from the partial collapse of the boiler house at Didcot A power station on 23 February 2016, Thames Valley Police (TVP) and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) continue to investigate the circumstances that resulted in the tragic deaths of Michael Collings, Ken Cresswell, Chris Huxtable and John Shaw.

The thoughts of both agencies remain with men’s families, as well as those who were injured as a result of this incident.

The body of Michael Collings was recovered on the evening of the collapse. Following the collapse an extensive and challenging process to recover the bodies of Ken Cresswell, Chris Huxtable and John Shaw was undertaken.  

An investigation commenced immediately after the incident.

Representatives from TVP and HSE will attend a minute’s silence being held at Didcot power station today (23/02) to pay respects to the four men who lost their lives, and offer support for the families.

Supt Rory Freeman, LPA Commander for South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse, said: “Today will I imagine be another challenging day for the families who lost their loved ones in this tragic incident.

“My thoughts remain with them and those who suffered injuries, and we continue to support those affected and give them the answers as to why their loved ones lost their lives.”

HSE’s Chief Inspector of Construction Peter Baker also paid his respects saying: “My thoughts and those of all at HSE are with the families of those who died and were injured at Didcot, particularly today as we mark the first anniversary of this tragedy. The HSE investigation team has been working tirelessly with our colleagues at Thames Valley Police to discover the circumstances behind the building collapse. We want to assure everyone affected by this incident and especially the bereaved families that we remain fully committed to identifying the cause.”

TVP and the HSE continue to investigate why the collapse happened which led to the deaths of the four men and led to the serious injury of two people.

While this is a joint investigation, Thames Valley Police has the lead on establishing if any criminal offences under its jurisdiction may have taken place.

Senior investigating officer for TVP, Det Ch Inspector Craig Kirby, said: “Given the scale and unprecedented nature of this incident, the highly complex investigation being conducted, is progressing at pace.

“To date more than 1,300 statements have been taken, over 2,600 physical and documentary exhibits have been collected, along with 60,000 still images and video footage. This figure continues to grow as more evidence is gathered.

“The evidence is being examined by both TVP and HSE, with assistance from forensic archaeologists, metallurgists and structural engineers.

“In the coming months TVP and HSE will have completed their work at the Didcot site, and the investigation will continue off-site.

“We continue to support those affected by this incident and they are being given regular updates on the progress of the investigation.”

“Thames Valley Police and HSE are entirely committed to uncovering why this tragedy happened and will seek justice for those affected, should any wrongdoing be found to have taken place.”


Media Team
(01865) 542047

Sharing tools

Share this page