Driving safely is your responsibility.
Bad driving puts lives at risk, and driving is a skill that needs 100% concentration at all times.
The Highway Code (opens new window) is essential reading for everyone. Many of the Code’s rules are legal requirements – if you disobey them, you are committing a criminal offence.
In this section, you can find out about:
- Seatbelt law and child car seat safety.
- The correct driving documents.
- Advice for motorists and horse riders.
- Riding mini motorcycles legally and safely.
- The Safe Drive Stay Alive project, aimed at young drivers.
- The BikeSafe campaign, aimed at motorcyclists.
- Penalties for using a handheld mobile phone/similar device.
- Traffic and travel information.
Please also read our crime prevention advice on auto crime for tips about how to: