Prevent Officers (POs) can be either a Police Officer or Police staff. POs work with communities as part of the Prevent strategy. Prevent is part of our counter-terrorism strategy, CONTEST. Its aim is to stop people becoming terrorists or supporting terrorism.
Within this overall framework the Prevent strategy will specifically: Respond to the ideological challenge of terrorism and the threat we face from those who promote it; Prevent people from being drawn into terrorism and ensure that they are given appropriate advice and support; work with sectors and institutions where there are risks of radicalisation which we need to address.Channel is part of the Prevent strategy. The process is a multi-agency approach to identify and provide support to individuals who are at risk of being drawn into terrorism.
The Counter-Terrorism and Security Act 2015 contains a duty on specified authorities to have due regard to the need to prevent people from being drawn into terrorism. This is also known as the Prevent duty. In March 2015, Parliament approved guidance issued under section 29 of the act about how specified authorities are to comply with the Prevent duty. Specified authorities must have regard to this guidance when complying with the Prevent duty.
How can you help?
It is important that we all work together so that we can protect people in our communities who may be vulnerable to those who seek to radicalise and recruit people to their cause. There are many ways you can help:
- You can get in touch with your local neighbourhood or Prevent team if you are worried about friends, relatives or neighbours who you believe may be vulnerable to the message of radicalisation.
- You can provide facilities that could help the police and our partners hold community engagement events.
- If you have any suggestions or feedback, or wish to get involved, please get in touch with your local Prevent contact (see below).
Your local PO:
- Reading PO: Claire Chavagnon
- Slough PO: Ian Healey
- Aylesbury PO: Jeffrey Singleton
- High Wycombe PO: Praveen Liyanage
- Milton Keynes PO: Rachel Mahon
- Oxfordshire PO: Jonathan Stanley
Further information –